Monique Cartwright was called to the Bahamas Bar and the Bar of England and Wales in 1994. Monique has worked as an Attorney in The Bahamas for over 20 years, and has focused principally in the areas of real estate/property (residential, commercial and mortgages), property development, corporate, commercial and intellectual property law.
Monique joined the Firm as a partner in November, 2004, after Eight (8) years of private practice in The Bahamas and in Malaysia. Prior to joining the Firm, Monique was a senior associate in the offshore department of a leading law firm in The Bahamas. She started her legal career as an associate in the corporate banking department in Kuala Lumpur, in one of the largest law firms in Malaysia.
Monique’s main focus since 2004 has been real estate. She has represented (i) several boutique hotels in The Bahamas from the initial purchase to the day to day operations and licensing requirements (ii) developers from the initial purchase, to obtaining relevant subdivision approvals and subsequent sales and closing (iii) High Net Worth Individuals in the purchase and sale of properties and in obtaining Permanent Residency in The Bahamas in connection therewith and (iv) individuals in purchasing, mortgaging and selling property.
Monique has been practicing Intellectual Property Law since 2008 and focuses primarily on trademarks.
Monique has also conducted due diligence on various companies in connection with mergers and potential takeover bids.
- Real Estate and conveyancing, condominiums, subdivisions, developments, project financing and mortgages
- Private client, foreign direct investment
- Intellectual property
- Immigration and residency
- Probate and estates
Education and Qualifications:
- Tulane University (Louisiana, USA) – Bachelor of Arts.
- University of Bristol (Bristol, England)- Bachelor of Laws
- London School of Economics & Political Science (London, England)- Masters of Law
- The Bahamas Bar Association (1994)
- The Bar of England & Wales (1994)
- The Bar of Malaysia (1998)
- Lincolns Inn, London
- Intellectual Property Caribbean Association (IPCA) (2014)
Hobbies & Interests
Salsa dancing, fishing, boating and traveling.